Sunday, July 13, 2014

Reviewing the State of Magicrap

This appears to be a non-biased magic-video review site.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AkiraFist/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=0&view=0
No crazy gimmicks and not related to the distribution / prostitution of our art.

I started to bookmark the site for my (never-ending) favorites list and as I contemplated that, I contemplated the lack of good magic I've seen reviewed lately. **I have seen magic get good reviews... but that doesn't mean it's good. It only means it's selling.

There's little I enjoy more in life than researching magic. From the first day I cracked a magic book (30+ years ago) to watching the latest Wizard Product review (last Wed.) I have enjoyed many many long days and late nights in pursuit of the elusive miracle.

I can confidently state: If you're looking for a new  effect or routine, I'm confident in stating the best bang for your buck will usually come from a book. Not only will book study provide the most value, it will inspire you to interpret the magic on your own. Unlike a DVD (or watching someone else perform an effect in a lecture or show) YOU get to choose what the magic will convey.

I digress...
I'm not preaching the perfect way to learn magic. That's not the purpose of this post.
So, why are we here today?
Well....

After watching the recent episodes of the aforementioned  Wizard Product Review , I reflected on the insane amount of magiCRAP that is being released these days. I thought it was getting bad 10 years ago when I owned a shop and the flood gates were wide open. For the most part, the last few decades have provided an amazing selection of valuable products for the magi-community. But now that all the great performers have released their material, we're left with teenagers and non-professionals pumping out products as fast as paypal can launder the money. I've heard rumors of the amount of new magic that major distributors carry. No less than 5-7 NEW products added EVERY week. Its unfathomable that any company can deal with this output (much less profit from it.) But... they do... and someone is supporting them (and by someone, I mean 1000's of magi-marks.) I understand what its like when the magibug bites: it's grip is fast and wide. It seems the desire to learn anything and everything is satiated only by the size of your wallet.

I'm guilty as anyone. Rarely does a week go by that I don't wish for the latest trick or doohickey. But I recently realized that was no longer the case. I don't think it has anything to do with my interest in our art, I think it's just a lack of good products. Sure, There's a gazillion things I'd like to have: I never did get a (Pure) smoke device & I'd still like to test drive "Soundz Amazing" (both from my wishlist last year) but nope: nothing lately.
Oh, btw, speaking of Soundz Amazing, here's the in depth review from Akirafist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67_801SsbkE
I'll be spending a good portion of my day, reviewing his reviews.

That's the bright-side of the current magic-meta. There are PLENTY of opinions to be heard. Turn on YouTube, check the Magi-cafe, ask Facebook, etc. Do yourself a favor: Weed out the chaff.

Alright, this post needs to end somewhere. I guess we'll wrap up here
#1: Buy More Books
#2: Buy Carefully
#3: Review the Reviews

and remember one of the golden rules:
The amateur magician does 100 tricks poorly. The professional does 10 tricks well.
*& the best magi do 5 tricks perfectly (my addendum) 

No comments:

Post a Comment