Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Constant...

I've taken a bit of a hiatus from this blog (and as I type this, I wonder who is reading these words?) When I started this, I never really intended for it to be much more than an online reference for the magi-stuffs that were of interest to me. I did figure that my findings may interest others and as part of the "pay it forward" mindset, I figured that it couldn't hurt to share my interests online.

So, today I ran across a website that lists various magic-blogs and my online notebook was noted / linked, etc. I'm honored and humbled that someone (anyone) would find my poorly penned ramblings would be of intermittent interest and as I considered these thoughts, I felt bad that I haven't been writing more lately.
It's not for lack of caring. I truly enjoy the pursuit of the illusive miracle and other related matters ... and I've always yearned to improve my writing skills (and figured that doing more writing was a step towards achieving that goal.) < a small smirk crosses my lips as I realize: I must have broken a dozen basic writing concepts by the time I reached the previous sentance... but I digress (and I'm leaving the word "sentance" misspelled so I know at least one error exists;)

Anyway, the point of this post is to let ya know, my temporary absence is just that: Temporary.
I've been going through allot of personal stuff lately and had no inclination to be artistic and or productive.  Fortunately time does heal wounds and slowly but surely I'm seeing through the fog (that of a momentary lapse of reason is pretending it does.)

I've always felt fortunate to have something like magic in my life & Can't imagine what it's like to wake up and not have the drive to peruse an art... Hmmm. Perhaps ignorance is bliss?

Today I had a nice / nostalgic reflection as I re-reviewed and rehearsed the first sleight of hand effect I ever learned (Daley's Last Trick.) Another one of the wonderful things about our art is that every second (and the microseconds inbetween) can be analyzed and perfected / directed or misdirected as the case may be. I think this never ending brain candy is one of the wonderful things that keeps me interested in conjuring (and I suggest if you're not of a similar mindset that perhaps your magic is lacking some luster?)

As I type these words, my trusty pack of pasteboards, those 52 lovers... the devils playbook, rest in my pocket. Never more than a reach away for an ease of the mind. Be it later tonight or early tomorrow, I know they'll be there for me. If you're reading this, chances are you're one of a similar ilk: one of the lucky ones.

Alright, well, I ony intended this post to be a brief blurb to mention I'll be back sooner than later (hopefully more towards the former.) In the interim... Whomever your messiah (be it bob of the chosen one himself) I suggest saying a little thanks to the powers that be for providing us some real MAGIC in our lives.

see ya soon

1 comment:

  1. Doug, I'm glad to hear you're continuing the blog (not that I was concerned before). I'm a new reader of your blog and less than a year into magic. Finding your site and reading your thoughts has been thought provoking. Thanks for taking the time to write and I'm glad to hear personal stuff is sorted, whatever it may be.
    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete