Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Judgement Day


I spent some time today watching magic "contests"
Fool Us, Wizard Wars and America's Got Talent

I also watched some recent magi-magic-contests (Mostly FISM winners.)

so, now I'm thinking...

If magic "contests" are going to be a thing,
I'd like to see at least some of them being judged by the laity.

Note: I'm a big fan of Penn & Teller's "Fool Us." I think it provides an amazing showcase for close-up magic (that otherwise would never be showcased.) I also think their recent "Wizard Wars" had some merit.

America's Got Talent is a step in the right direction, but... yeah, it has issues (for example, we have a German, a Brit, an Australian and a Canadian judging the american talent... and that's the least of their problems.)

I'm a fan of anything that brings our art(s & crafts) to the laity, but, when it comes to showcasing magical offerings for judgement, I really think at some point, joe Q public needs to be part of the judging.

More than anywhere I else, I believe this to be true for magic-convention contests. Please oh please put some laymen in those judges seats (at least some of them.)

Magic is an art meant to be enjoyed many ways (including inbred ways: like trying to fool your kindred spirits... a guilty pleasure I enjoy as well.) I'm just saying, it's an Art meant to be consumed by the public... and if we are to be judged as great magicians, the public should have some say-so in that judgement.

... but who am I to judge?










No comments:

Post a Comment