Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Rubik Muse

After a month of (lackadaisical) practice, I can finally do the Rubiks cube. My self imposed goal of learning it in a month was met, but I'd hazard a guess that you could learn it in a week (spending bout an hour a day on each of the 7 basic steps.) 

Takes me about 4-5 minutes. My goal is to get it under 2 minutes. 
Considering the following I think my goal is attainable.




It really boils down to memorizing some 'algorithms' (there's bout 100 basic sequences... though you only need to learn about a dozen of those to solve the cube... easier said than done... but easier than most would think) Now that I've got it down... Next step = learn some of the other moves to speed it up... then I can/will do it blindfolded (and onward to the 'magic square' cube.)

FYI: there's some great apps for the cube. For .99 the official Rubiks app can't be beat: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rubiks-cube/id361231506?mt=8 this app includes a virtual cube & a nice tutorial on how to solve it. If you're interested in Rubiks cube (and own an 'app phone') search around... it's surprising what's out there. Everything from a cube-cheat-solver, to timing &/or algorithm apps.

Last but certainly not least:
This page was lots of help & also includes a bunch of links to other cube solutions & stuffs.
http://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/rubikscubesolution.html

No comments:

Post a Comment