Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lake

Just returned from a 5 day excursion to Smith Lake AL. It really was a peaceful getaway from the hot / humid (& often stupid) city life that New Orleans offers. Alas, the trip was in lieu of the Pebblepallooza Con (held in OK City, for the first time this year.) The visit to the lake was very important to the wife and kids, so I opted for the opportunity to give the family a memory as opposed to a self-serving visit to see some of the best close-up magic in the world (sigh.) I did have a good time with the family and some good friends, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't constantly think of the awesome gathering I was missing. I wasn't completely without some good trickin: I performed a bit of magic during the get-away (at a huge memorial day party) and was able to catch up on a bit of reading (finishing up the Ramon Ribadoo book & the first re-read of Semi-Automatic Card Tricks #6: LOVE Steve Beams writing! And I suggest you get EVERYTHING he has put out!)Also started relearning my bottom deal (leaving Marlo's 'Illusionary' (strike) bottom in exchange for a more secure push out deal.) I guess it'll take a year or so... I'll get there. I also reviewed Bannon's Bullet DVD's and more than ever; I'm convinced he is one of the most important creators of solid attainable, entertaining card magic that has seen print (in either book or DVD) in the last 2-3 decades. Anything with his name on it is worth getting. Anything. I just read some of the Pebble posts on what I missed in OK and I can only hope they do it again. Speaking of this gathering: I'd like to send a personal shout out to Tyler Wilson who went above and beyond the call of duty in effort to get me out there (but alas my sexy sasquatch: some things are more important...) I hope everyone who's eyes gaze upon this page has the love of a child (and simultaneouly the unconditional love of a good woman) A love that proves "true love" does exist (one even stronger than the love of close-up magic.)

No comments:

Post a Comment